The Burris Cemetery lay behind the Burris family house in Eastville. Many years ago this area was called Burristown. The house was built in the 1860's by Reverend Caleb James Burris, the first black ordained minister on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, and founder of the Union Baptist Church. At one time Burristown consisted of three Burris houses: Jacob and Anna Burris Griffith, daughter of Caleb and Eugenia, lived in a yellow house on the corner of Route 13 and Kendall Grove Road, now called Cherry Dale; and two additional houses were occupied by Caleb Burris and his son, George.
The cemetery is small and contains the burial places for Caleb Burris, his wife Eugenia, several of their children, and one son -in -law. Most of the property remains in the hands of the Burris family. The last person to live in the house was Jack Burris, the great-grandson of Caleb and Eugenia Burris, who died in 1999.
Geographical and Contact Information
From Cherrydale Road (From route 13), 0.2 mile east on route 630, behind house on north side