Bunker Hill was annexed to Petersburg in 1816 and was fairly well-populated by 1860. A white middle-class population lived in the north, near Poplar Lawn, while a small black population lived in the southern section. Black Baptist churches used the city reservoir on St. Andrew's Street for baptisms and local black militias held matches at the "shooting grounds" near the reservoir. By 1900, the black community had expanded into the northern section of Bunker Hill, and by 1930, Bunker Hill had become a predominantly African-American neighborhood.
The neighborhood contains a variety of 19th and early 20th century house styles, including Georgian Revival, Queen Anne, and bungalows.
Geographical and Contact Information
Off and around Mars St. Petersburg, Virginia 23803
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Bunker Hill,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed December 10, 2018, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/71.