Boston was the first area in Accomack County with a black school. The New Boston School was opened in 1867 by James Martin under the auspices of the Freedmen's Bureau. Later, Shiloh Baptist Church had oversight of the school. It is not known when the building was torn down.
The present school was constructed in the mid 1920s with the help of the Rosenwald Foundation and may stand on the site of the first school. The new school had four classrooms to accommodate four teachers. It was built at a total cost of $9,000, to which the black community contributed $2,500, the Accomack County School Board contributed $5,400, and the Rosenwald Foundation contributed $1100. The school was in operation until 1964.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
1001 Preston Avenue Boston, Virginia 22713
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Boston Elementary School,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed November 22, 2017, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/61.