Blandford was established as a town in 1748 and became part of the city of Petersburg in 1784. Blandford Church (1735), is the oldest surviving building in Petersburg today. During the antebellum period, two clusters of free blacks lived in Blandford: one on the waterfront and the other in the southern section. During the Siege of Petersburg, in 1865, many of Blandford's homes were destroyed. Blandford became a predominantly African-American neighborhood after the war, when an influx of freedmen arrived from the surrounding countryside. The Blandford neighborhood has retained its cultural identity as a 19th and early 20th century black working-class community through its many surviving buildings. Among its notable residents is Dr. Florence Farley (1928 - ) who became the city's first black female mayor in 1984.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
Off of South Crater Rd, East Wythe St. and Page St.