Dr. Charles Martin Read came to the United States from Jamaica, British West Indies in 1903. In 1912, Northampton County certified him to practice medicine in Virginia. In 1916, he purchased one acre of land from James and Anne Kelley and constructed a building which served as his home and office.
When George E. Downing, one of the Eastern Shore's first black attorneys, returned home from college to practice law, this was his office. This building also served as office space for Dr. James C. Allen in 1939 and Dr. Conway Downing in 1945.
No Physical Description Available.
Geographical and Contact Information
Bayside Road Exmore, Virginia 23350
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Read House,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed November 24, 2017, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/424.