The St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1867 and was one of the first 50 AME congregations chartered in this country. The building was constructed in stages, with services held in the basement until the sanctuary was built, followed by construction of the vestibule and bell tower. Today, the tower houses a 650-pound bell. In February 1968, the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society recognized the structure as a historic site.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
428 North Loudoun Street Winchester, Virginia 22601 Phone: 540-665-2955
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed December 10, 2018, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/406.