Smithland was owned by the Smith family, who first settled on the land in the 1760s. The white brick mansion was built by the grandson of the original settler. The Smith family was well known in the community and hosted many notables in their home, including George Washington. The family owned slaves who lived in non-traditional slave quarters for the time period. The slave quarters were located in a two story house with two families per floor plan. In 1852, the Smith slaves took part in a plot to kill the family with poisoned coffee. As a result, the family became violently ill and the slaves were sent to the penitentiary.
The buildings located on the site are painted white. The main house is constructed out of brick and the slave quarters are constructed out of timber with two brick chimneys.
Geographical and Contact Information
Route 11 North and Smithland Road/Route 720