The grounds of Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation include the 1835 Dower Quarter - a well-preserved, two - room frame slave quarter.
"Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation" is a museum of plantation architecture where buildings tell the history of the James River Plantation country. The grounds of this National Register Landmark include Piney Grove (1790), Ashland (1835), Dower Quarter (1835), Ladysmith (1857), and Duck Church (1917), as well as the Harwood Graveyard, gardens, and a nature trail.
Geographical and Contact Information
16920 Southall Plantation Lane Williamsburg, Virginia 23187 Phone: 804-829-2480
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation and the Dower Quarter,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed May 23, 2019, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/340.