Petersburg's cemeteries were segregated by race and religion. In 1815, the Petersburg Beneficial Society of Free Men of Color was established to support its free black members in times of sickness and in death. Beneficial Society Trustees purchased their first lot for a burial ground in 1818, and a second lot in 1840. People's Cemetery, also known as Providence Cemetery, incorporates the second Beneficial Society lot. In 1985, People's Cemetery was deeded to the city of Petersburg. People's Cemetery contains over 3,000 burials.
In 2010, the National Park Service partnered with the History Club at Petersburg High School to record the gravestones within the cemetery.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
319 South Crater Road (near Mingea Street) Petersburg, Virginia 23803 Phone: 804-733-2400
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “People's Cemetery,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed August 14, 2018, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/332.