In 1920 Samuel D. Outlaw left his home in North Carolina and traveled to Hampton, Virginia, to attend Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute, where he enrolled in a four-year course in blacksmithing. Two years after graduating, Outlaw move to Accomack County, where he lived with fellow blacksmith Matthew Hall and his family.
Once established in the Onancock community, Outlaw purchased a house on Boundary Avenue and soon after built a 20 by 50 foot shop to house his blacksmith business. From 1927, when he organized the business, until his retirement in 1991, he repaired all sorts of work implements, including plows, harrows, and wheels, and vehicles such as cars and bicycles.
Outlaw died in 1994 at the age of 95. His family gave the building to the Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society as a memorial to his life and to the profession of blacksmithing.
No Physical Description Available.
Geographical and Contact Information