Museum and White House of the Confederacy

Historical Significance

Founded in 1890 and opened in 1898, the Museum holds and displays one of the world's premier collections relating to the origins, life, and legacies of the Confederate States of America.  It offers exhibits and programs that interpret a wide diversity of antebellum and wartime Southern society, including enslaved and free African Americans.  The White House of the Confederacy was the executive mansion of Jefferson Davis, his family, his military aides, and a staff of enslaved individuals and servants.  Guided tours introduce visitors to the people of the White House and its role as a political and social center.

Physical Description

The Museum and White House are adjacent to each other and surrounded by the Medical College of Virginia.  The Museum is a 40,000 square foot building featuring three floors of exhibit galleries, a multi-purpose meeting room, an education room, and a research library.  The White House is a three-story 1818 Classical Revival / Italianate residence with two floors of period rooms restored with original furnishings to their appearance circa 1857-1865.

Geographical and Contact Information

1201 E. Clay Street
Richmond, Virginia
23219
Phone: 804-649-1861
Fax: 804-644-7150

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Museum and White House of the Confederacy,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed November 20, 2017, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/299.

Related Tour

Subjects

Share this Site