The historic community of Edenmont was annexed to Petersburg in 1816. It is bounded on the west by the Petersburg Railroad (now CSX), which was built in the 1930's. Edenmont remained largely undeveloped until after the Civil War. By 1877, a predominantly black community, an extension of the Gillfield neighborhood, had settled west of the Petersburg Railroad stops along Pegram and West Streets. The Reverend Henry Williams, pastor of Gillfield Baptist Church, resided on Pegram Street. Edenmont became predominantly black in the 1950's during school integration, when many of Petersburg's whites moved to the counties.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
Edenmont is bounded on the west by the Petersburg Railroad (now CSX)and Pegram and West streets on the east. Petersburg, Virginia 23803
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Edenmont,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed February 24, 2018, http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/120.